Wednesday, 26 August 2015

5 things never to say to a pregnant lady

As soon as you announce that you are pregnant, it would appear that the general universe loses any sense of political correctness or common sense when they talk to you. In fact, I would go as far to say that when I'm pregnant, people say the downright weird and bizarre to me.  Today I thought I would share my top five favourites of things you should NEVER say to a pregnant lady, and suitable alternatives which you might find useful should you encounter when a lady with a bump!  



"Replace "you look like a cave woman who hasn't slept in weeks" with, "wow you looking amazing, you're glowing!". 

1. "You look really really *big*" 
*Here you can replace the word big with any given adjective that suggests the size of their bump isn't normal, i.e, small, tiny, huge, enormous, gargantuan. 
Indeed, the size of the bump is the centre of much debate. But guess what? It's as big as it's meant to be! Pregnancy is so individual and so are bump sizes.  Try instead saying, "Wow, what a lovely bump you have there. You look amazing!". 

2. "Do you think you're having twins?" 
Please see above for why this is statement is unacceptable, you may as well ask if she is birthing an elephant. Try replacing with,"Wow, you look amazing with such a perfect bump".

3. "Are you excited??"
I really can't figure out the answer that a person is trying to get from you here. Do they expect you to say no and then launch into a story of how un-excited you are????? Best not even mention this ridiculous statement and just go with, "Wow, you are looking great today!". 

4. "Was it a surprise?"
Ahhh, this old chestnut.  I've never been asked this one personally, but I've heard other people ask it so many times.  What they may as well ask is if you were taking birth control or was the birth the result of a random and unexpected night of passion.  Fair enough if your mum or best friend asks you, but the woman who barely talks to you at playgroup, asking you over the play-dough table? Erm nope. Again, polite etiquette is to smile politely and say, "Pregnancy really suits you.  Kim K has nothing on you". 

5. "You should really get your sleep in now".
This statement works on the theory that you can somehow 'bank' sleep now and then utilise these extra hours when you need it most.  Yeah right.   have you tried to sleep with a bowling ball to one side of you and needing to pee at least 5 times a night.  Best to simply smile, keep your sleep advice to yourself and say, "Wow, you're looking amazing today!". 

I'm sure there are so many more that I could add to the list, but these are the ones at the top of my list. I know the majority of people mean no harm at all when they say the above things, but it makes me feel better to have a good giggle at how ridiculous some can sound!

Have you heard any funny pregnant comments? Or are you guilty of saying any of the above? Would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
Thanks for reading, 



post signature Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

12 comments:

  1. When I was pregnant with my two, my tummy was always huge coz these two were born big and me being petite, just made it so protruding. I always got this comment... "your tummy is about to explode, what have you been eating?" so rude when people judging you that way, when they don't know your pregnancy history/condition. Anyway, Thanks for sharing! #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That is very rude! I've not had the exploding tummy comment yet!!!!
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh I've had all of these so many times. I have four children and people's negative comments were hands down the worst thing about being pregnant. I had chronic sickness which got worse with each pregnancy but I would still take that over the awful comments. One woman (who is normally quite large when not pregnant) asked me if I had to bribe my partner to have sex with me because I was so huge and he can't want to be near me! I wasn't even that big, just pregnant and I had some water retention. #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is awful!!!! What a mean mean lady!!!
      Thanks for reading and sharing your experience.

      Delete
  3. Great list, and congratulations on your pregnancy, your bump looks amazing! (I'm sure it does anyway!) I like your new look site - sorry if you did it ages ago but I've not been doing blog stuff much recently (school summer hols - what can I say, I'm exhausted!). Hope you're well! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and really glad you like the new look site! x

      Delete
  4. Haha, love this. When I was pregnant I had one person tell me I looked ready to pop (at 6 months) and wow, was I really going to get bigger? And then a few hours later someone else was worrying about how small I seemed. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! The woman at the local shop just informed me she couldn't believe I was going to get even bigger!!! Hmmmm!
      Thanks for reading and glad it's not only me!!

      Delete
  5. When you are pregnant you find out other people, sometimes random, always have an opinion... With my first pregnancy I kept hearing, you are so small, is everything ok? Second time round, all I heard was how big I was and did I have my dates right? Grrrrrr!!
    #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He,he! You really can't win can you????
      Thanks for reading and stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Haha yes, yes and yes I wrote a post on exactly this for Grazia Daily a while back if you fancy a read, what is wrong with people?! http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/2014/12/things-you-should-never-say-to-a-pregnant-woman. Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He,he! I think the only thing you can do is laugh or you'd cry!!!! Great article too.
      x

      Delete